Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
20355756

I went to the hospital and didn't tell my chain of command,

Customer Question

I went to the hospital and didn't tell my chain of command, they gave me morphine, and I had to take a drug test about 6 days later, will I pop, and if I do, can I get in trouble and kicked out for popping?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --

-

I am sorry to hear that you have to worry about this. While everyone is different a single or two doses of morphine in the same day should not stay in your system any longer than 3 to 4 days (my own husband has a regular prescription of morphine for debilitating medical problems and we have researched this issue extensively. Although not in the military, my husband must be clean for commercial driving exams and thus takes this medicine sparingly and never within 5 days of a test). So, while it is not certain that this dose or doses will have been completely out of your system at the time of the test, it will be diluted enough that if you get a copy of the medical record to show when it was administered, you should have no problem with your position and you chain of command. Contact the hospital and tell them that you need a copy of the treatment record immediately and simply have it ready to hand into your commanding officer in the event that you are called in on this issue. It is not illegal or immoral to take a dose of pain medication when it is a hospital or doctor prescribing it and if there are no issues where it requires ongoing dosing of pain medication, you should have no problems clearing up this issue upon showing the medical treatment record to your command if it comes back positive. If you can prove that is was legally administered by a doctor or hospital for a legitimate issue that day, then they cannot kick you out of the military or do anything else to you for "popping" -- because you were NOT "popping" -- you were given a legally prescribed and administered pain medication during a hospital visit for a legitimate problem.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this issue and I am happy to answer them for you. If you have no further questions, can you please press a positive rating in the star rating section above so I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star in the ratings section above these message boxes. We are not paid an hourly wage and our only compensation is when a customer is conscientious enough to leave a positive rating in the rating section above. THANK YOU VERY MUCH and THANK YOU FOR USING JUST ANSWER.

-

MARY

Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello again

-Are there any further questions that I can answer for you on these issues? I am happy to answer any follow up questions or concerns that you may have. If not, can you please press a positive rating above in the star ratings section so that I will be paid for my time assisting you? We do not receive paychecks and are paid only if you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star to the right of the middle star above in the ratings section. If you leave without pressing a positive rating above, the website keeps your entire payment as profit and pays the expert nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth star or fifth star to the right of the middle star above. Also, please note that even when you press a positive rating, your question will not close and you can return for another 6 months to ask additional follow up questions for no additional charge.-THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!