Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

A church member, 39, told me that he received DADT discharge either before or during the early Bill Clinton...

Customer Question
A church member, 39, told...
A church member, 39, told me that he received DADT discharge either before or during the early Bill Clinton presidential years. He was trained as a paramedic in the army. Where and Who can he go in San Francisco to get help?
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this.
Customer: Hello? Did you get the question?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I don't think he has. He said that he had written to Congress people and to Obama himself, without any answer. Is there a LBGBTQ group that can help him in San Francisco?
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No. I am a retired social worker, 72. Don't know where to direct him to.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
6/5/2016
Military Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

I'm aware of no groups, but he would need to file a DD Form 149 with the military records corrections board. That board can alter the record to change his discharge status, his separation narrative, his characterization and even his reenlistment code (though it is likely that he is now too old to rejoin).

Other such remedies though, such as reinstatement, separation pay, credit for lost time, etc. are not usually given because the discharge status was legally appropriate at that time. That was the law, fair or not, at that time.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer