How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14447
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In April of 1978 I was discharged from the Army with an

Customer Question

In April of 1978 I was discharged from the Army with an Honorable Discharge on Form 256A. Paaragraph 9 c Authority and Reason list code: Para 13-4(c), AR 635-200; SPD:JMJ. Paragraph 9 e Character of Service list Honorable. I have been troubled about this for many years because I truly have not known what it meant until I just looked it up on the internet. The code for my discharge indicates behavorial issues, not suited for miliatry duty and the SPD code indicates the same and the reenlistment code RE-3 indicates that a waiver is required for reentry. IU do know that when I attempted to reenlist a year or so later that I had much difficulty and eventually gave up on the idea. As I was preparing to exit the army I spoke briefly with my sargeant major spoke to me and said that the doctor (a psychiatrist I was required to see for my separation as I was getting out early) said I was schizoprenic ( I always assumed this was because of my involvemnt with Christian Science, since this is what the doctor and I talked about and not for any other reason); I made several attempts, by making written requests, to obtain all my records after discharge but was refused all records related to the discharge visits with the doctor. My biggest concern at this point is if I were truly schizophrenic, should I have not have been offerred counselling or medical treatment for this condition either before or after I was released. I do know that I never received any bad reviews for my performance and I never received any disciplinary actions for any behavior problems. i am now much to old to consider active duty but am wondering if it would be possible to obtain all my military records at this point, even the ones related to my medical treatment and any disciplinary actions i may not be aware of? Bruce fallaw
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Bruce, I am sorry for this dilemma...but want to make sure I understand the question. Are you asking the process to request your records?
If not, what is your question please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already know that my records are available by written request to the Military records center; my concern is what should have been done at the time of my discharge and there after based on a negative discharge code which states that he Army should have made efforts to prevent the discharge without reconciliation efforts, especially since I never had any negative reviews or disciplinary actions?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank what is your question sir?

Is this is philosophical question on what should have been done?

Are you asking the process to request a chance to errors in your record?