How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14524
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dad was discharged from the navy 3/15/55 and s paper

Customer Question

my dad was discharged from the navy 3/15/55 and his paper shows a life insurance policy--i am next of kin--i filled out the form for his bronze marker--after his death 8/25/2015--how do i find out about this policy and who may be the beneficiary?
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no--he divorced my mom in 1995 and his sister is the executor of his estate and sole heir to everything--the legal will lists the three children as receiving nothing--i was just wondering about the policy since dad's sister and his girlfriend are tight-lipped about everything--sister lied on the form for the marker and that is the only reason i was even involved
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Military Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: dad and i have not been in touch since he divorced mom in 1995--his estate has no value to me--i was just interested in this policy after seeing it on the discharge paper--if it still existed, who the lucky one was who cashed it in--there was no probate "cut and dried" sister got it all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Have you contacted the department of navy and also department of veteran's affairs and send them a copy of that discharge paper showing the life insurance policy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
contact the that my $40 answer?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply. I never provided you any answer, I was asking questions.

We experts have to ask customers questions many times because customers do not tell us what we need to know to answer them. We have no clue what the customer knows or has done already and sometimes their answer is more simple than they think and they get mad with the expert and say "I knew that" or "Is that my $40 Answer," but that is not the expert's fault.

So we have asked you for more information, if you are thinking your beginning steps are more complicated than the questions I asked, I am afraid you are incorrect and perhaps you may want to go get your refund by sending an email to customer service at***@******.***

Go do what you need to do to investigate the matter first, as those steps need to be taken and you do not need a $400 per hour attorney to do those. If you run into roadblocks then you can come back here and tell us everything you have done and what happened and we can direct you to the more complex actions based on the specific roadblock you have encountered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
give me complete instructions for my refund request @***@******.***
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I understand you.
I am not an employee of this site I only know the email address, I do not know any other instructions, so I would presume you send an email and in the title you say Refund Request and you tell them in the body of the email you would like a refund of your deposit because you need to get more information about your situation before you can answer the expert's questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sending an email to customer service at***@******.*** ---sign me off---
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Best wishes. Please do not reply here as the experts are not employees and have no way to help you further.