Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Will applying police officer position show a oth discharge

Customer Question
Will applying for a police...
Will applying for a police officer position show a oth discharge in there background check ? Or do they just go off of what's on ur dd214
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
5/26/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Assuming they do an Federal criminal background check after taking your fingerprints (NAC), they should discover an OTH. Also, if CID or NCIS, or a similar military law enforcement agency was involved in the investigation that led to the underlying issue that resulted in the OTH, that information will show in that check. Having said that, sometimes information is missed in a background check, but that is just human error and no guarantee that would happen. If it doesn't, then as stated, these issues will show on the NAC.

Also, I am not sure how the DD 214 would show something different than the OTH and the reason for discharge, can you explain that?

Please feel free to respond with that information and any follow up questions you might if. If none, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 26th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer