How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was a private nurse in NY during the Viet Nam war. I was

Customer Question

I was a private nurse in NY during the Viet Nam war. I was "volunteered" to go over to set up the hospitals in the early stages of the war and be a nurse there also. I remember being on a naval ship, then she was assigned to the Marines.
When it was time to depart, I was made to sign a paper stating that I would not expect any military benefits, so I did. Now, I need them. Is this a fact or am I incorrect? Was I connected to the U.S. Military or not?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you signed a contract that you would not be entitled to military benefits, I am afraid that this is a major problem. You need to find that paperwork and if you cannot find it, then you need to contact the marine corps and you need to get a copy of that paperwork, because without it you would not know for certain if you are able to claim benefits. However, in the meantime, regardless of what you signed, if they cannot produce those documents either, then you would be entitled to benefits, but you have to apply for the benefits upon getting your discharge papers from the Marine Corps. Without proof of your discharge they will not award benefits. If they do have proof you signed waiving benefits though, then you would not be entitled to anything I am sorry to say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, then why was I asked to sign away my benefits and NOT others?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I have no idea even what you signed, so I do not know why they would have forced you into service and made you sign any waiver of benefits. That is why finding what you signed is important, you need to read exactly what it says to know what recourse you may have, if any. But if you do not have a copy and they cannot produce a copy, then it does not exist and you would receive benefits if you served as you say you did under the marine corps and were discharged (again why you also need to get the discharged paperwork from the Corps).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you are telling me to get a copy of that paperwork. Where do I go....the Navy where it all started or to the Marines that I served under?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.If you started with the Navy, start there, but if they do not have your discharge information then you would need to go to the Marine Corps next.

Related Military Law Questions