How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19182
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I join the Marine Corps in October 1st 1974 I went UA in 1975

Customer Question

I join the Marine Corps in October 1st 1974 I went UA in 1975 and I finally got a discharge in 1976 and what I want to know is what type of discharge did I get because I have no paperwork
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't but in 1976 of The Reserve Center sent me a paper says an undesirable discharge but it was very unofficial they wanted me to come back but unfortunately cuz I was a kid I didn't make the right decision and go back and threw up many years things have changed so I'm just curious to know what kind of discharge I got them that's it
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Military Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Military Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I graduate graduated US Marine Corps boot camp in December 27th 1974 and then I went to my first Duty station in Twentynine Palms California and I was there for a while and then one day I just didn't show up and then I would went back to base and then eventually if I had to I got a court-martial and then I went to jail in Camp Pendleton California for wasn't a long sentence it was a few months and then I went home and then they sent me in the Reserve Center sent me a letter saying that they could forgive all of this if I want to join the military and stay in and I said no and here I am 40 years later and I'm just curious thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did my information for my credit card go through and password ***** have always had trouble with that when I'm dealing with this kind of situations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. That is not something that we can get, due to the Privacy Act laws that make such information private. Only you or your family members can obtain your records from the Archive and that's what you need to do. You have to request your records through the national archives, located here: Your facts make it really difficult to guess what type of discharge you could have had. If you were actually court martialed, it could have been a dishonorable or bad conduct (though unlikely). The more common result was a short jail period and then separation with an undesireable discharge (sometimes unfavorable), which is best compared to our Other than Honorable today. But again, your facts allow for any of those possibilities, so you have to pull your records from the archive to be sure. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Related Military Law Questions