Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Greetings, I successfully completed my first contract in

Customer Question
Greetings, I successfully completed my first...
Greetings,
I successfully completed my first contract in the United States Army. I deployed, and upon returning I spoke with a recruiter (which is required to clear the installation) who convinced me I should go Reserve instead of just going IRR per my original contract.
This has proven to be a huge mistake. I hate the Reserve, the unit to which I've been assigned has only given me a patch so far and I've been there for 6 months. No training, no equipment. I don't even want either of those now, I just want to go back to IRR status per my original contract.
Like I said, I received and honorable discharge from my first contract / enlistment. I'm currently in school, and battling depression and anxiety quite aggressively with the help of the doctors at the VA hospital. I'm not in any place mentally, emotionally, personally, or professionally where I can make the Reserve a viable option, nor do I wish to. I've gone through the proper chains of command and they are being less than helpful. Please, tell me what I need to do to go back to my original IRR obligation. I'm bad for this unit, and they're bad for me. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/4/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?
That is, are you asking what happens if you stop going to drill?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. That was not the question.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If that's what you got out of my lengthy and detailed inquiry, you're not the person through which I should seek guidance. I'll keep looking.Thank You
I sent an offer to talk about this on the phone for a nominal fee. If you accept happy to discuss this with you.
I wish you the best of luck...
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer