How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19169
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering if it was possible to get help to try and upgrade

Customer Question

I was wondering if it was possible to get help to try and upgrade an other than honorable discharge and what would be the cost
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not really, just asked question but nothing serious.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Military Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Well it was over 15 years ago 1992 to be specific. I was discharged for a brief time of missing ships movement. Military code on dd214 is hkq what ever that means. I could send a cop of the dd214 if you like
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: I was just young and in love with the woman I now have as my wife and been married for 19 years now. I stayed on leave a little longer than I should. I was depressed at those times but I told the Doctor and they had me stay at sick bay for a couple of days. But it's not in my records.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. This is not actually an attorney referral service. We don't represent you or enter into an attorney client relationship. The best way to find counsel for that sort of issue is to do a search for "attorney" and the term "DD Form 149." That is the form that you have to fill out to attempt to upgrade a discharge that is that old. That form is for the military records corrections board and they technically have the power to upgrade a discharge. Now, that being said, it is rarely done. This is because it is not actually intended to happen. Upgrades were not considered as a typical or expected process for discharges. They were supposed to be permanent classifications. This board then only changes a discharge if you can show that the original discharge was an error or an injustice. You could certainly argue injustice if your medical situation (depression) was not taken into consideration. Most attorneys that do that work charge a flat rate based on the initial application and then additional fees if you want them to actually speak for you before a live panel. The cost runs anywhere from $1000 on the very low end with minimal help, to $5000 on the higher end with significant assistance. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions