How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband served in Iraq. Before his last tour he was working

Customer Question

My husband served in Iraq. Before his last tour he was working as an Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and as a Paramedic in Nevada. While he was serving in Iraq (where he was serving in combat and as a medic) both his licenses expired. When he returned he was told by both the Paramedic licensing agency and the State Board of Nursing that since his licenses had expired he had to start over again from scratch. Is that legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn about the problems your husband is having with his licensing.Regarding his paramedic license, it is likely that he can resolve this by getting his NREMT-P ("National Registry"). He will want to contact the NREMT directly (their webpage has a lot of information but it is not the easiest to navigate) to confirm exactly which recertification program he would fall into. (As he was licensed and practicing just before deployment, I doubt he was unlicensed long enough that he would not qualify for one of the reentry programs, this may require him to take a recertification course, but this is not the same as "starting all over"). Once he is nationally registered he can then get his NV Paramedic's license (the skills testing and short term coursework from the refresher course will be accepted for that application).Regarding his LPN, that is a little different. I think you may have received some bad information, he does have to take continuing education, but he does not have to "start over" - here are the requirements for renewal: (it includes specific references to those licensees who have had licenses lapse).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has his NREMT, but he can't get the P because they say he has to start over again. I thought that if certifications, etc., expired while he was serving that all he should have to do is come back, get the CEUs and he should be able to pick up where he left off. Due to his service he couldn't do the CEU's while he was there, which is why he expired. Nursing Board told him, flat out, that he had to start from scratch, that just doing his missed CEUs wouldn't do it. Thank you for the link to the renewal requirements, I'll print it out and he'll take it to the Board with him on Friday.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
If he has an NREMT (EMT) vs NREMT-P (Paramedic) he needs to get the additional Paramedic registration. I would recommend contacting the national registry directly to see if they can assist your husband with this as well (the NREMT has a relatively decent customer service once you get through their phone call hold).Being deployed is not going to give him an extension on renewing his certification.