How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19175
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to an Army colonel years, and just before

Customer Question

I was married to an Army colonel for 23 years, and just before our divorce, we renewed my dependent's ID card. Knowing we were divorcing, my husband supported the continuance of my ID, but now that it has expired, I can't seem to get an answer if I can renew it.
JA: The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I had entered this question a little earlier but was distracted by another call. So have not consulted an attorney as yet.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: My ex-husband is willing to go with me to renew my ID, but now sure where in the Bay Area. All appointments seem to be only for active duty or civilian government employees.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance. If your marriage overlapped 20 years of military service, then yes you are still legally entitled to maintaining an ID card unless you have remarried. Their regular appointments are typically for supporting active duty and civilian government employees, but they can assist retirees as well. This may be a situation where you need to first contact the local JAG office at the base nearest you to ask them for a legal assistance appointment, and then that JAG officer can push the matter to personnel to get this done. Again though, your marriage has to have overlapped 20 years of military service in order to maintain that ID card. If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions