How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14273
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband was in the USMC years with a discharge date

Customer Question

My husband was in the USMC for two years with a discharge date of 05/21/1969. His discharge papers had been lost and we had been trying off and on since 2000 to receive a copy of his DD214 without success. He inquired at the Federal Building in Muskogee OK where he spoke with a Jason Million and was told that the military had him down as dead and that the records were destroyed in a fire. That inquiry was about three years ago. Approximately six months ago he went to the Federal Building again and spoke with a different person who said he would receive something in the mail within two weeks. I had also sent requests to NPRC and never received a reply. Each of these inquiries was done as a veteran's request. My husband passed away March 11, 2016. On March 31 I sent another request to NPRC as a widow and on April 11 a copy of my husband's DD214 was sent to me. The discharge was honorable. I don't know why they waited until he passed away to send the DD214. Maybe you do.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I just received the DD214 in the mail yesterday.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: I do have documentation that I sent a request to NPRC in 2012. Also, my husband and I weren't started dating about six months following his discharge and his DD214 shows a $10,000 life insurance coverage, which I know he would have changed the beneficiary on had he been able to obtain his records. I don't know who the beneficiary was. I hope it was his deceased mother. It also shows he had five days of accrued leave due him. He also had a couple of medals due him that I never saw.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us about this matter?

Related Military Law Questions