Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I am a military retiree and wants to talk to me about a

Customer Question
I am a military retiree...
I am a military retiree and CID wants to talk to me about a program Called at the time GRAP which it was a program the National Guard had in mid 2000s and was offering soldiers bonuses for referring leads who enlisted in the National Guard. I was a recruiter during that time frame. What are my options
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: During that time many I was a recruiter. many recruiters were making side deals with soldiers to make money illegally from the GRAP program. For me I would follow the steps that were required to process the lead correctly so the soldier who referred the lead would get credit for his referral. I never did any side deals or took any money from anyone. But because I was a recruiter I was put in the list last February 2015 when I was still in the service and just now a year later ArmyCID wants to question me about it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
4/12/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Just to be clear, when were you a recruiter and what was the last date (approximately) that you would have been involved in this GRAP program? Is there any tangible reason to believe you are a suspect versus a witness?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was a recruiter for the National Guard from May 2001 May to October 2016. No tangibles that I can see other than me making my assigned monthly quota but I was making my monthly quotas regardless before that program started. All soldiers who referred the leads were required to input the information in an account created by them thru a company hired by the National Guard. We the recruiters would receive the information in our systems once the soldier would input the information in their system. Because there was many involved CID was looking into financial records of recruiters and soldiers to look for deposits of money they might of look suspicious. This has been going on across the country for years.

Thank you for your reply. I am still not exactly sure if the GRAP program was still going on when you left service. The reason why I asked why the last time you might have been involved in the program was related to the statute of limitations. If you are outside the 5 year SOL under the UCMJ and Federal law, then you wouldn't have any concern, from a criminal standpoint, of any repercussions from talking to CID.

On the other hand, if you were still involved in this program within the last 5 years, you are within the SOL and could potentially be facing charges if the Government believes they have evidence of misconduct. In that case, I would normally say not to speak to CID. I certainly wouldn't speak to them before sitting down with a local criminal law attorney who handles Federal criminal law and knows, at least something, about the UCMJ. I can't give you legal advice, since we cannot form an attorney-client relationship, but a local attorney could. But again, speaking to them without an attorney if it is within the 5 year SOL is at your own peril.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. Thank you

I see there is a phone consultation request. If you requested that service, I cannot provide it because there is a bar association ethical rules issue in doing so. However, I am willing to answer as many follow up questions that you might have about this issue in this forum.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 12th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received your rating. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer