P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I'm currently going through the enlistment process US Coast

Customer Question

I'm currently going through the enlistment process for the US Coast Guard and seem to be experiencing quite a dilemma here. I was in the Army National Guard and just ETS'd 28 March 16, but when I was in I got a conditional release (DD368) and so I started the enlistment process with the Coast Guard. I went to MEPS and passed a physical, retook the ASVAB (scored a 90 AFQT), and even had reciprocity with my security clearance. The problem is I ETS'd from the National Guard and am supposedly in the IRR but every time I call HRC at Fort Knox they show me as being "out of the Army", so am I out of the Army now? Does my recruiter need to get a DD368 conditional release from the IRR? What about my MSO (Military Service Obligation) of 8 years (I only did 6 so far)? Am I over worrying about this? Because I’m just waiting for a ship date of 7 May to go to boot camp for them. Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help
Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me, are you still under your original contract (the original, 8 year enlistment contract where part is active and the other part IRR)?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
If so, in theory they (the Army) could recall you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
6 years of drilling status (or MDAY) and two years of IRR
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
That said, if you are not under a drilling obligation? This is not going to be a problem for you personally...by that I mean that IF they wanted to recall you (say your MOS was in dire need)? They (Army) would need to go through the Coast Guard...
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
this is not an issue for your personally...it is something that the Army would have to pursue with the Coast Guard...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In theory yes. But my problem is that I'm not showing up on the IRR's list...
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
frankly, unless you are an Intel person or a language person...they are NOT going to recall you
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
if you are not on their "list"? Then you have even less to worry about
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
If the coast guard accepted you? You can be in the coast guard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my MOS in the Army was 27 Delta (paralegal specialist)
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Then there is no way they are going to recall you...no how, no way
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Not worth it. If you were Intel or language...perhaps. But not for legal.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
We (the legal field) are, sadly, not unique (lots of lawyers and paralegals to be want in)
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Also...it seems some other expert posted here...not sure why...please ignore that post (must be an error with system)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The recruiter has told me that I have "tentative orders" to ship to boot camp for May 7th. I have successfully completed a MEPS physical (I'm healthy and good to go), I retook the ASVAB and did a lot better on it, and thy even started to sponsor my security clearance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The recruiter for the Coast Guard.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Again, if your 8 years are not completed, you are still in the IRR. But this is not (or at least should not) be an issue. If you enlist in the coast guard and the Army wants you back (the will not), they can go through the coast guard).There is no requirement you be off IRR to reenlist in another branch
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...typo. They (the army) is NOT going to call you back from IRR...
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Even if we went to war the chance is just about 0%...
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil