How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19182
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is currently at Marine Corps boot camp at Parris

Customer Question

My son is currently at Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, SC and had enlisted with an MOS request of infantry, but is now struggling mightily with this choice and wants to change MOS. Is there any precedent to changing as he has tried approaching his Senior DI and is immediately scolded and shut down. I want to help my son avoid serving in a capacity that will create significant mental anguish and need to know my options. We heard that recruiters are often misleading, and I feel that is the case in this instance.
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Anything else I can tell the Military Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No. That was my only question. To clarify, my son has no desire to leave the Corp, but simply does not want to pursue infantry as a career choice.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Military Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Reclassification is rare and not something that can be compelled. There is no process to force a reclass. To have it done, your command has to be in support of it and initiate it for you, and from what you've stated, the command is not interested in helping him right now.

Unfortunately, the best way around this situation is to go right through it. By that, I mean that he has to complete his training and, once assigned to his first unit, he can begin to form the relationship with his chain of command that would allow him to get the support he needs to change MOS.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions