Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Pearl, I am running and I am a retired AF officer. I have

Customer Question
Pearl, I am running for...
Pearl, I am running for office and I am a retired AF officer. I have reviewed the regulations and I am not sure if I have any prohibitions in using photos of myself while in the military for my campaign. I see 1344 has a section for people not on active duty, but that may be for a reservist, not a retiree. Can you elaborate?
JA: OK. The Military Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Military Lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't think so. From what I have read, I might need to use a disclaimer that the military doesn't endorse me...but again I am not sure where that truly applies.
JA: Our top Military Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Military Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Military Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/25/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. You will want to read the information at the following link to guide you in your activities in regards ***** ***** for public office. http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/defense_ethics/resource_library/deskbook/political_activities.pdf

It summarizes all of the multitude of DOD instructions and relevant statutes laying out ethics rules and political activity rules for all servicemembers, including retirees.

The section that directly addresses your question about your military photo is section E.6. To summarize that, a photo of you in uniform, can be included in your biographical information along with your rank, etc., and must clearly indicate that you are a retiree and include a disclaimer that the photograph does not imply an official endorsement by the Air Force, DOD, or the U.S. Government. The photo also cannot be the only photo of you used. But again, please read the complete section so that you know exactly what your limitations are.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed after you have reviewed the information at the link and the relevant instructions and statutes. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 25th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer