Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I want to leave the army because I feel that I have been

Customer Question
lied to since day one...
I want to leave the army because I feel that I have been lied to since day one and all through basic training and AIT. I enlisted as an E-4 because I have a bachelors degree. My recruiter LIED to me saying that I could not go officer due to my security clearance. I ended up enlisting as a 12W (Carpentry and Masonry Specialist). I only enlisted because I was also told by my recruiter and throughout basic and AIT that there were many ways of becoming an officer and once enlisted it is just a matter of months before I can become an officer. Furthermore, I enlisted in Fort Dix, NJ which is almost two hours away from my home. I only did so because again I was lied to and told that they were obligated to transfer me to a unit near my home and they have not done so thus far. I was told that I was entitled to a bonus, which appears on my MOS slot reservation but not on my contract. I have not received it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: So to break it down, I am unhappy about every aspect of my military career right now. I am not happy with my unit due to the arduous travel time, I am unhappy with my pay seeing that I should have earned a bonus, and, most importantly, I am unhappy with my MOS.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
3/25/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpI am sorry for this dilemma...but not sure understand your question...are you asking if you can enforce a promise made to you but not listed in your enlistment contract?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not want to be in the army anymore because of all the promises made to me but not granted later. I feel that these promises go against the primary reason I decided to enlist. I believed I would be going officer by now, getting my masters degree while taking the officer classes, I believed I would be going to a unit near home, and that I would actually be doing something I enjoyed as an MOS.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Furthermore, I just got a very promising job and would like to dedicate all my time to it.
THank you
I am sorry to be the one to bear bad news. I understand you do not want to be in the Army. And that they lied to you. However, if it is not in your contract? They are not required to fulfil any promise. In fact, if you read the contract you signed, it says this in bold print. So the fact they lied to you will not be a basis to get out.
This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can get out because the recruiter told you something, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer