How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** ***** and it is regarding a failed drug

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and it is regarding a failed drug test at meps. No excuses but truth, hung out with some buddies and smoked shesha out of a shesha pipe that some of their room mates routinely used for weed, not knowing this I went down to meps and tested pos. My recruiter cut contact and I live in Canada and was driving down to montana for all the tests. Not tooting my own horn but an am exemplary canidate in every way. This was my dream and dont know what to do if anything can be done.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: What other info would you like?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpI am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this? Are you asking if you can get a waiver now? Now that you have failed the urine test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking what I can do if anything to still enlist. I had an army 18x special ops contract in hand and one stupid night of ignorance stopped my application. This was about 4 months ago. How would I get a waiver? or what other options do I have? I know meps is for all navy, army, air, cg. So its not like I could apply to another branch either right?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Honestly you have an uphill battle. You can try and obtain a waiver...but with this misconduct, AFTER you enlisted? It is unlikely they will grant one.
The largest problem you face is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver. You may be able to convince the National Guard to give you another shot...they are the easiest to get into today.
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to clarify, I did not enlist. I was still going through the application process so did not swear in or sign a contract, this was just during application. And if it is waiver, How do I go about getting one to restart an application?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
I understand...and sorry for the confusion. You were in the enlistment process. And committed misconduct as part of that process. So you have a record of this now...if you want to renenter you will require a waiver. You would need to find a recruiter willing to work with you...and that will be tough, I expect. Since they can refuse to help you. But I would try the National guard...they are, in my experience, the most likely to grant a waiver.

Related Military Law Questions