Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

That's very helpful information. Thank You. Can I

Customer Question
enlist, and just hide it...
That's very helpful information. Thank You. Can I enlist, and just hide it knowing they can't check my medical records, if so could i get in trouble....also if there were past psychological issues that were (in my opinion) never an issue, and have been on the 'straight and narrow' is a waiver even possible, or a waste of time? Could I get a different doctor to say in writing that i am fine? i'm sorry i'm just really passionate about joining
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
3/10/2016
Military Lawyer: PaulmoJD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD, Attorney
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you again for educational purposes only.
I am afraid you cannot hide your medical records. They can insist that you sign the HIPAA release or they can just refuse to accept you. Yes, you have a right to not release the records, but they have a right to reject you if you do not sign the HIPAA release. If there were temporary psychological issues then you need to get another doctor to examine you to state that there is no longer a psychological issue.