How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14447
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an attorney who represented an ex-wife of a military

Customer Question

I am an attorney who represented an ex-wife of a military enlisted man in a Rule to Show Cause for nonpayment of child support and spousal support. The military man had not paid direct support to ex-wife but had allowed the military to pay by allotment her rent in military housing (which does not count as support payments as payments to a third party vendor are not support). He was held in contempt of court twice now for nonpayment.
He now claims he is going to sue her and the military for unjust enrichment because she lived in military housing for free which he paid for instead of paying the court ordered support. If she did not receive the court ordered support, she did not have the funds to move out of base housing because she needed three months rent to get out; he insisted he would not pay her until she did get out. Catch 22. meanwhile, now can he sue the military for keeping the allotment to pay her rent going while telling him that he was not violating anything by refusing to pay support directly to her (which is inaccurate) and suing his wife for living in the housing on base while they were divorced? Can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question.

What do you mean "can you help"?

Are you asking if I can represent you/your client?

Or you want info on the rules the military has for supporting dependents?

I have an idea...I will send an offer for a phone call. If you accept, we can talk on the phone and I suspect I can help address your/your clients concerns