Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

My friends husband is in the navy and on paid leave pending…

Customer Question
My friends husband is in...
My friends husband is in the navy and on paid leave pending a hearing for assaulting an officer, which he says he didn't do. They say it happened during a meeting he was in with two superior officers and one peer, of his same rank. The two officers say he assaulted one of them, however, his peer also said it never happened and he's testifying to that. My question is doesn't the Navy have to provide him with some kind of defense counsel for the hearing? Or if he needs to hire one, what kind of attorney would he hire? Criminal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
3/8/2016
Military Lawyer: Peter Griesch,
 replied 2 years ago
Peter Griesch

Yes. He should, and will likely be, provided with a Navy defense counsel. Whether the hearing is a preliminary hearing (known as an Article 32), a court date (court-martial), or an administrative separation hearing, he's entitled to military counsel at no expense. He's also entitled to hire his own civilian counsel, at his expense. If he chooses to do so, the attorney should be experienced in criminal defense, and preferably in military courts-martial.

Please let me know if you need anything clarified.