P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I am emailing in regards to a Re-enlistment code that may be

Customer Question

Good Evening, I am emailing in regards ***** ***** Re-enlistment code that may be assigned to me in the future. My situation is that I am currently an Active duty Marine and my end of active service date is May of 2017. Last year my Career planner had me get screened for a strenuous special duty assignment. I had to go through the process of getting screened even though I told them I only had about 2 years left on my contract and wanted to get out and be closer to my son. The paperwork game back from headquarters and said I was approved and said I would have to re-enlist another 4 years and do this special duty assignment or I would be assigned an RE-30 code on my dd-214 and I would not be eligible for future re-enlistment, promotion and it would affect me for future government employment, and I would never be able to get back into the military. I feel this is very unfair because I have served honorably my whole career for 12 years now and was even diagnosed with cancer after I returned from my second deployment and underwent 2 surgeries and chemotherapy and fought hard to keep going. If there is any guidance you can give me I would appreciate it.
Respectfully,
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Marine, I am sorry for this dilemma...but do not understand your question. Why are they threatening the bad re code?