Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

If I signed up and swore in at meps national guard and I'm…

Customer Question
If I signed up and...
If I signed up and swore in at meps for army national guard and I'm supposed to go to basic training shortly am I too late to change my mind?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
3/2/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. If you signed all of your enlistment paperwork, then technically you can be held to your contract. However, most of the time if you contact the recruit command and tell them that you changed your mind, they will cancel your contract. Better to do this now, then to get to basic and try to get out. But again, all depends on what you signed and how hard over the ANG is in pushing the issue. They usually don't want to force anyone to go because those soldiers end up being problems for them in the future and they have others who do want to enlist and commit.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 2nd. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.