Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am a US military member and a victim of revenge porn by…

Customer Question
I am a US military...
I am a US military member and a victim of revenge porn by another US military member. Unfortunately, the military states that there is nothing to be done concerning my case, not even a sexual harassment case. I know this is all a new topic in the Sexual Harassment world but shouldn't the military be able to something to punish this member?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
3/1/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can force the command to prosecute?

No, I'm asking if, according to military law, this is a case of sexual harassment. I feel that the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator is incorrect in his statement that just because the pictures that were posted were taken during a relationship and taken with consent, that I have no case in claiming sexual harassment.

I disagree with the SARC that this is not a crime. I can understand why they claim it is not "sexual harassment"...since the military terms sexual harassment as the unwelcome or inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favors

That is NOT what you are describing. So it is not sexual harassment.

But it is a crime, in my opinion. It is a violation of Art 134, UCMJ, conduct that is prejudicial to the good order and discipline of the armed forces or of a nature to bring discredit to the armed forces

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit
Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer