Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Will drawing a Military Retirement as well as 100% VA

Disability have any effect on...
Will drawing a Military Retirement as well as 100% VA Disability have any effect on my SS?
2/12/2016
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer. I am happy to provide an answer for you...but want to ensure you are willing to rate/accept the answer when we complete. Do you agree with this?

I can accept your answer. I just read so much about what is going to happen and I just want some straight, truthful, answers. As I wrote, I am 81 years old,. Retired Military, Draw Social Security, and Drawing 100 % Disability. Since that is all US Government Funds, I can't help being just a little nervous.

Thanks

As you may be aware, the law was changed several years ago allowing veterans who retire with 20 or more years of service, and who are rated by the VA as disabled at 50% or greater, to draw BOTH retirement and VA compensation

This is totally separate and apart from your right to draw Social Security. Your military pension and VA compensation are not impacted by your SS...and vice versa

Under the law you can draw all three at the same time

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
No, I am fine with your answer. I can sleep easy now, knowing that My Retirement, or Disability will be considered. I Thank you very much.

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer