Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

A Missouri National Guard Command Sergeant Major had

sexual intercourse with my spouse...
A Missouri National Guard Command Sergeant Major had sexual intercourse with my spouse, both were married to other persons, and neither was separated at the time of the intercourse. The event(s) took place in October 2009. All parties have admitted same to their spouses when confronted with cell phone records and other evidence supporting their nefarious activities. The Sergeant Major's command was never informed or advised of the incident - though should be. What might be the best method to proceed?
2/11/2016
Allen M., Esq.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You can certainly contact the command directly and give them the facts. What you have to understand though about NG members is that they are not subject to the UCMJ unless on orders and they actually commit an offense while on those orders. They have their own version of the UCMJ, as a state, but it is not nearly as harsh as the federal version.

Still, the command could decide that it is worth some sort of administrative action against the individuals involved. The next thing you have to understand about military justice is that you don't "press charges." It doesn't work that way. You can inform the base JAG office or the direct commander of the facts of the situation and they decide what action, if any, to take. It is entirely possible, given how long ago this event took place, that nothing will happen at all or perhaps counseling (and that's only if they are still in the NG). So, don't report this with the expectation of any result. Do it because you feel it should be known by command.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Thank you kindly - I will carefully consider your advice and potential contact with his command.

Good luck going forward.

Allen M., Esq.