Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Next Wednesday my son is having what is being categorized as…

Next Wednesday my son is...
Next Wednesday my son is having what is being categorized as a hearing regarding his exit from the ROTC program at his college. Over Christmas break be had a packet with him where he was given a choice between an accelerated enlistment path and a path which allows him to graduate before enlisting. His enlistment is to repay the partial scholarship he received. He has contacted a recruiter and has a plan for entering the Army. Our questions are 1) is this a counseling session to review the choice he selected rather than a hearing, 2) Can the Commander force him dropout of college and onto the accelerated path, 3) Does he have need of Counsel if this is in deed a hearing and a ruling by the commander is possible and finally does he have a JAG representative available to him as a contracted, ROTC cadet?
2/8/2016
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Was your son scholarship?

What was the reason for removal?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
he was on scholarship. Following the Advance course he was assigned to commission in the National Guard. He is not being removed from the ROTC program. He actually completed the program coursework in the spring 2015 semester. He was not happy with National Guard but even more so since he had began drilling as a duel component(?) drilling as a cadet but not slotted in the unit. He also said he was taking a lot of grief from the command about his dissatisfaction in the Guard. My son requested to leave the program. He understands his commitment and has been speaking to a recruiter with the intent to leave following graduation as he indicated in the packet the command sent with him over the break.
Fell free to call if you like (###) ###-####

Thanks

Need approx 30 mins to call. Will call asap

no problem. I'll drop off here and await your call.
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer