Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I have decided I want a divorce. My husband is active duty…

I have decided I want...
I have decided I want a divorce.
My husband is active duty AF, eligible for retirement in the spring, he is a LtCol
We have been married less than 4 years, we have no children.
Prior to being married I owned a business for 7 years and had to give that up when we were stationed in Japan.
We purchased a townhouse (under his name) when we moved back to the states. I have been working part time while trying to restart my business, and I am the primary caretaker for the home.
We have two vehicles, one is fully paid off, the other we are still making payments on
I have college student loan payments monthly as well.
Other than the one care payment, a student loan payment and mortgage we have no other debt.
Right now, I would not be able to support myself financially on my own in the area in which we live. I would like to know what my financial options are, until I am back on my feet with a full time career again. Do I receive some BAH/BAS and other military spouse benefits during our required 6 month separation period? What about after divorce?
I want this process to be as amicable as possible, so am wondering if I need to consult with a family practice lawyer or if a mediator will be sufficient.
Are there any particular laws involving pets?
Anything else I should be aware of?
2/8/2016
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

Can you tell me, how many years has he served so far?

And was your plan to give you a portion of his military pension ? Or are you waiving that (agreeing not to take any part of it)?

Phillip,Thank you for your reply.He has served about 19.5 years, I don't remember the exact date he will at 20 years. He is not sure if he will stay in or retire at that point.I'm not certain about military pension. I would consider that a negotiating factor. I would like BAH/BAS support during the required 6 month separation, since I am not currently employed full time.Overall, I would like advice on what actions to take and so forth. Maybe you could recommend a local family law attorney, since I'm guessing that would be my first step.I can talk on the phone as well.

I an not give a by name recommendation. But I can, perhaps, provide some help.

I can offer to speak on the phone about this, to address the several factors that are in play, including BAH, and his pension

I can make that available for $5 additional (ignore the one that says $52 for a phone call)

If you want to talk I will be available, to speak, in approx. 1.5 hours

I will be available in 1.5 hours. My number is(###) ###-#### ***** do I need to call you via "just answer"?

Easy...I will send the offer...if you accept I can give a call

But not sure why... it will not let me offer the phone call...I will send this as an answer...if you rate then I can give a call

There it is...I sent the offer...if you accept I can give a call in approx 1.5 hours

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Accepted the offer. Again my phone number is(###) ###-#### Thanks!
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer