Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I hope you are able to assist? I have been corresponding…

Customer Question
Good morning i hope you...
Good morning i hope you are able to assist?
I have been corresponding with a US army officer
who claims he is here in Perth Australia on deployment from the states.based at Campbell Barracks W.A.name SGT.John Robert Meriill Porter who works in ICT.
He has requested money from me to pay for a liberty leave pass which i sent money for via western union..!!ihe said he has nonaccess to funds whilst on base.hence why i had to pay.is this correct.the leave psss was granted and he now asking that I pay 50% of cost of airfares have told him no.
He has sent me photos of himself.i have searched eveywhere online for this person facebook etc and all search engines with no success.he has said his facebook was hacked and fotos stolen.i am concerned that this is not legit and concerned that he has stolen some nice young soldiers identity.is there any way possible to search for the real soldier the one in the photo to comfirm his real identity?or that this not a scam?
This soldier uses john.por
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
2/6/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. You are absolutely right to trust your instinct on this one. This is a scam and the person that you were lead to believe you were corresponding with is not who they say they are. This is actually, sadly enough, a pretty common scam. These cyber criminals, who are usually located in Eastern Europe, Africa or the Philippines, pose as military servicemembers and establish an online relationship with an unsuspecting trusting person (usually women) until they gain their trust. They then say they need money either to take leave, pay some sort of travel expense, or a tax of some sort. They always ask for payment through something like Western Union or, here in the States, Green Dot cards, since that is not easily traceable.

In any event, they sometimes actually do steal the identity of really servicemembers off of social media sites and other times, just make a name up. The upshot is that there is never a charge to take liberty, all bases have access to their servicemembers to obtain cash, their paychecks are direct deposited, and they generally do not have to pay for transportation to get home or travel in the country they are in since the Government pays for that.

You can read more about this type of scam by going to the following link: http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html

You can try reporting this cyber crime to your law enforcement agency there in Australia that handles these types of crimes. However, these criminals are very hard to track down because they are always on the move and often work from internet cafes.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Thankyou for help..it has been most helpful..
Is there any way possible to find out who the soldier is in the the photos as his uniform has states his name as PORTER
Ior anyway i can search as i feel it unfair to this solier that this has happened.i would really like to get in contact with the real soldier somehow to express my concern?
It strikes me odd that this person I chatting with claims to know a lot about the army..he is very well informed about what goes on.
Am I able to upload photos or i.d to this email.that he has sent me for you to some how check please?

You're very welcome. There is no search database for military members since their privacy is protected, like ours is. As mentioned, these criminals just pull this information off of a social media site. The ID's they create aren't even real, but they are definitely professional and know their stuff. You might want to read the information at the Site link I provided. You can supply any information that you have to CID (The Army investigations unit) and they can try to see if this person who they are posing as is real, but that is about all you can do other than to report them to Australian law enforcement who will investigate and try to track down any real person they might be posing as.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 6th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received a rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.