Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

Im getting charged renlistment bonus I never revived and I…

Customer Question
im getting charged for a...
im getting charged for a renlistment bonus I never revived and I did not reenlist
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/3/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Do you have a question regarding this?

Served 9 years in the army reserve I got out early to take care of a family member, under honorable conditions, but they are claiming I Renlisted and are taking my taxes for a recoopment I never received the boundaries in the first place

Thank you

How were you able to serve more than 6 years without reenlisting?? Were you a commissioned officer?

I did my 6 than I drilled throw my IRR than when it came time to Renlisted I signed but not even a month later I went to much commander to get out to take care of my family the commander said I would be fine since I did not receive any money

Thanks

So what is your question today please?

I have been paying back a 15,000 renlistment bouns I never received in the first place, never been sent a bill just had myour taxes taken, when I Allen and asked about what was going on I didn't get a straight answer since they army has lost my whole 201 file there is only 7 peices of paper on my 9 years in and now is seriously effecting my cr

Thank you

I understand the dilemma...but still not sure I understand the question. What is your question? Are you asking if you an sue to stop this debt collection?

Thank you

Can you tell me, you mention you have been paying...for how long and how much so far have you paid?

4 years now 5 k they take all my taxes that's it

Thanks

This is, in essence, a contract law issue. That is, the government is claiming you owe money for a reenlistment. If that is not accurate? And you can prove it? You can have the collection stopped AND demand the government repay that money.

But you would need to sue them, in federal court.

For this you would want to hire an attorney to assist

The adage "a man who represents himself has a fool for a client" is often true. If you act as your own lawyer, the court will expect you to know the law/rules/procedure/evidence just as if you were admitted to the bar. They (the court) will not cut you any slack. If the goal is to win the case, hire a lawyer.

So you hire an attorney, and have them file suit in federal court against DFAS (military pay)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Follow up

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer