How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband and I are divorced. We have been divorced

Customer Question

My ex husband and I are divorced. We have been divorced for 13 years. I know that he is is the United States Army. I do receive child support; that is how I know he is still in the army. My child is currently applying for college and I need to get all of his father's financial information and documentation (including tax returns) immediately. We have not spoken in over a decade and I need the information immediately. I do not have any way to contact this man so I think I am going to have to take him to court but that is going to take a very long time. Do you know if I can contact the army directly and get the information I need much quicker. My son has tried to locate his father but has not had any luck. I know that even if we were able to locate him he would not cooperate and willingly supply the necessary paperwork. If you can give me any detailed advice as quickly as possible I would greatly appreciate it. Also, I know he was stationed in El Paso Texas but I don't think he is there any longer. Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

If you are receiving support from him, the Army can assist you in locating him, and informing you of the command that he works for; however, the Army will not release any financial information to you without either his consent or a court order.

If you contact him and ask him to consent to the release of this information, the Army can make a third party disclosure to you of his pay, etc. (though the Army will not have tax returns).

If he doesn't want to cooperate, the only way you could get this information would be by securing a court order.

Alternatively, if all you need is gross pay and allowances for the financial aide information, you may have an alternative. Unlike a private company job, pay and allowance information is publicly available. The Army should be able to help you locate your ex-husband, and tell you his rank and duty station. If you know how long he has been in the Army, you can locate on the pay charts, located on and determine his pay.

This should give you the information necessary for the financial aide application.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please remember to rate my response using the star system above.

I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is positively rated.

Thank you.

Related Military Law Questions