Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I recently found out that my husband who is about to

Customer Question
Hi There, I recently found out...
Hi There,
I recently found out that my husband who is about to graduate as an officer soon, has been having an affair with another military soldier for almost the duration of our 4 year marriage.
As a result ive had to move out of a home that we bought (that's in his name).
Recently he got mad that I confronted the women he continues to se and I asked her to stay away from my husband and to keep her child away until our divorce was final.
My husband then threatened to get me deported ("shipped back from where I came from"), as he is currently my financial sponsor. What rights do I have and can I call his mistresses commander to order her to stay away?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
He also said the military does not get involved in personal affairs, But I thought there was something against dating in the military if you out rank each other, in addition to the military not accepting infidelity.Furthermore, my husband does not help me financially like I was accustomed to and only sends me 200 once a month at the most. Yet he sends money to 2 other woman (which evidence suggests he is having an affair with as well).I mainly want help, so I can get an apartment and a car of my own. Right now I cant even get on a lease. Is there anyways I can stay in our home and ask my husband to leave since he is more financially stable and able to get a lease and afford an apartment.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2016
Military Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was having an affair with a subordinate, this is a violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice and you need to contact his command, since he is not correct that the military does not get involved in this type of situation. Legally, the military does not get involved in personal matters that do not involve other military personnel, but having an affair and adultery with another military member who is of lesser rank would be something they do get involved in and will pursue. Inappropriate sexual relationships with a subordinate military member would indeed be a violation and one you should report immediately to his commander.
Furthermore, if you file for divorce one thing your attorney will ask for is temporary possession of the marital home as well as spousal support. I would suggest you getting a local attorney to pursue the divorce for you in addition to filing a complaint with his command at his base.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney