Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I am 17 years old and enlisted into the CT national guard. I…

Customer Question
Hello, my name is Charlyn...
Hello, my name is Charlyn ******. I am 17 years old and enlisted into the CT national guard. I changed my mind and really don't want to do this. I lost the passion and motivation to go through with it. It wasn't what I expected. Before I enlisted I asked my recruiter if there was a way that I can go to a drill to see if I like the military life and if it was a fit for me. He said no. But after I enlisted I found out there was an opportunity to check it out to see if you like it. I told him if I did go for the one day drill, I wouldn't have enlisted. I told my recruiter about how I felt and he isn't too happy about it. I feel he isn't helping me. He said it's a phase and to just keep going. The only reason I did it was for college but the career I want to persue none of the state colleges have. I feel not mentally or physically ready if I was to go through with this. This isn't I want to do in life. I was wondering if you would be able to help me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/30/2016
Military Lawyer: PaulmoJD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
PaulmoJD
PaulmoJD, Attorney
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you have not done boot camp yet and are on delayed entry program, then this is the easiest to get out of. You get out of it by not showing up on your reporting date for boot camp and you would be separated from the service, whether your recruiter likes it or not.
Even in the NG, until you show for boot camp, you can get out by stopping showing up. You do not have to do anything else. The recruiter and command will try to pressure you and force you back, but you do not have to do so and if the recruiter begins harassing you, then you can report that harassment to GI Rights counselor at(###) ###-####
Unfortunately, if you have gone to boot camp, you are committed and you cannot leave without having it be a dishonorable discharge or possibly worse, desertion and a court martial. So you are now legally stuck to your commitment and while you may not be happy about this, you need to at least explore the opportunities that are available to see about making the best of it including at least going to college to take the core courses that all college students must take regardless of their major while you sort this out.
Legally, even an attorney cannot get you out of the military commitment once you started on it, even though the recruiter did not let you know you could have checked drill out before enlisting. However, now you are there, (I have actually had about a dozen clients in your same situation), there are things you can do to make it work to your advantage and the first thing is getting into a state college and beginning on the core curriculum classes (and UCONN offers a pretty comprehensive selection of majors, so you should at least be able to begin towards something with the core curriculum). Also, even if you get a major you are not 100% down with, because you are in the NG you are accumulating GI Bill Credits and nothing would stop you from later on enrolling in another school under the GI Bill to get the degree you want (you can get multiple degrees on them).
So, hopefully for you, you have yet to go to boot camp, if that is the case, just stop showing up, stop communicating with the recruiter and you will be separated. If the recruiter comes to your home or school, you have a right to tell them to leave and you do not want to talk to them and if they continue to harass you then you can call the number above. You do not have to allow the recruiter into your home either, so if they show up there, you can tell them to leave.