How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

, I was held on legal hold past my retirement date

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was held on legal hold past my retirement date for a year. I was what i feel is forced to take a plea. I told my attorney that they did not run my Legal hold through retirement branch. he assured me that they had because he had seen the paper work. looking through my OMPF tonight I found 3 documents that said that I was retired 9 months before my Court Martial. do I have cause for a 2255
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

If you were separated, and not retired, the military would lose jurisdiction; however, as a retiree, the military retains jurisdiction over you to prosecute you for crimes committed while on active duty.

Because you were retired, the military would have jurisdiction. There is a question whether a retiree would need to be recalled to active duty, and it is unclear whether you were officially on active duty at the time of you were retired.

Is there any other legal hold documentation that you've found?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seps manual clearly states that to hold someone with a approved retirement date that the unit has to request legal hold through MMEA retirement branch. If i was already retired how did they give me a BCD?
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you're correct.

That’s why I asked whether you have come across any other documentation. The issue is jurisdiction (in personam jurisdiction - - jurisdiction over the person). As an active duty service member, the service has jurisdiction to try you. As a retiree, the service has jurisdiction to try you for, example, offenses committed while on active duty - - prior to retirement. The service is required to place a person on legal hold, i.e., hold off on issuing a DD-214 and activating retirement, prior to imposition of trial / sentence. What I’ve seen happen in the past is a miscommunication between the command and retirement folks, which is often times corrected last minute. For example, a command may start proceedings, but the retirement branch, in the interim, approves a retirement date. The command sends a legal hold, but the retirement branch fails to process, and retires the person. The line of cases dealing with this have favored the government in explaining that the retirement was defective, therefore, the government retained jurisdiction over the servicemember. See, e.g., United States v. Harmon, 63 M.J. 98 (C.A.A.F. 2006). Additionally, there are cases where the retirement branch entered an “eligible retirement date” before or after a legal hold was made; however, the legal hold will trump that date, even if the person’s record reads that they’ve been retired as of that date. It’s akin to an admin error.

If you were validly retired prior to trial, you have a legal challenge against your conviction. If, however, a hold was requested, but was not acted upon by the retirement branch, then you likely do not have a legal challenge. It all hinges on whether a legal hold was validly issued.

If you do not have additional documentation, but wish to sue, you should make a request for all documentation - - which you’re legally entitled to have. If there’s no evidence of a legal hold, there likely was none, and you have strong legal grounds to challenge your conviction.