How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 34759
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a separation code of JKK abuse and I have a general

Customer Question

Customer: I have a separation code of JKK for drug abuse and I have a general discharge. I was wondering if there was any way possible for me to join again
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: wellmy case started about feb 2014 and I got discharged jun 2015, so basically what happened was I failed a UA test while I was on orders too the ranger regiment. NCO's and commanders were telling me that I was going to get rehab and moved to another unit too see how I perform that never happened and I was separated with re entry code level 4 general under honor conditions
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Military Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

It is theory. But in practice you need a waiver (permission from the higher authority) to get in this can be tough to get

The largest problem you face is the poor economy. The poor economy has caused a flock of people turning to the military for jobs. Despite the war recruiting is way up in all branches. The need for the services to grant waivers has decreased. For example the Marines recently decreased their maximum age for enlistment. Its tough today to get a waiver.

Perhaps...but frankly not likely. Not so soon after your release

Give it a few years. Do great things with your a record of success..and it may be they will take you back in

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that this was easy, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would I start to contact the higher ups to try
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

You can contact your local recruiter. They have to initiate this

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long does it have too be to start this process
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

There is no minimum time. You can apply at any time. But the chance, for you, I fear is low

That said, I wish you the best of luck with it

Again, please rate the answer, so I ma receive credit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what they determine the answer based off of
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

The determine based on your application. You got kicked out for drugs. In order to get in you need the Secretary of the Service to approve your request.

That is highly unlikely...but if you had an extraordinary case? Say you have your local congressional representative willing to write a recommendation on your behalf? That may help