Military Law

Have military law questions? Ask a military lawyer.

I have a finace in the us army and he has a treasure chest…

Customer Question
I have a finace...

I have a finace in the us army and he has a treasure chest box with his retirement papers in it and metals and also money in it ,I have been sending money to the company so I can get this treasure box how can I still get this box he is in Afghanistan ***** ***** jbrown

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Did you get the other messages that I wrote

Lawyer's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Military Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
1/21/2016
Military Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, you have been scammed. In other words, the person that you thought was a U.S. Army member is, instead, a cyber criminal These types of military romance scams are very common these days. The person poses as a military member and says that they either need to pay a fee to take leave, to retire, or to bring their items home, or something similar. None of those things are true. A U.S. military member never needs to pay to take leave, retire, or bring their property home. The U.S. Government pays for that.

Another way you can tell it is a scam is that there is no such thing as a "treasure chest" in this context. What happens is that these cyber criminals, who are mostly on the African continent, Asia or Eastern Europe, take the name of a real military servicemember and their photo from social media sources and pretend to be them in creating this "relationship" online. Once they have established that relationship, they ask for money for something. You can read more about these types of scams by going to the following link: http://www.cid.army.mil/romancescam.html

You can report this cyber crime to Interpol and, although they aren't likely to get your money back for you since these criminals are very hard to find, they might be able to shut down that particular cyber crime network. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Lawyer