How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19182
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****, my issue is understanding my

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****, my issue is understanding my deceased fathers DD 214. It states 232 days lost under SEC 6 (A) APP 2B MCM 1951 Blood group - A. PVT E-2(P) 20 NOV 53
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sorry I hit enter too soon. What does the "232 days lost under SEC 6 (A) APP 2B MCM 1951" followed by "Blood Group - A" mean? It also states "Excess LV 10 Days" What does that mean. These items are all in box #38.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Military Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

The MCM 1951 refers to the Manual for Courts Martial. Sec 6(a) App 2B is just referencing a change to the MCM 1951, for clarity.

What must have happened here is that there was a conviction under court martial and there was a sentence of confinement. That 232 lost days either comprises the entirety of the confinement issued by the court martial or part of those days were spent absent without leave (AWOL). So, perhaps a person was AWOL for 132 days and then after coming back was sentenced by court martial to 100 days confinement. I cannot discern from the provided information which it is, but certainly 232 days were "lost time" and at least some of them related to confinement following a court martial.

Blood group may be a reference to his blood type. There is no other legal reference that it could be.

Excess leave simply means that at the date of his separation, he had 10 days remaining in his leave bank which he would have either taken as terminal leave or sold back to the military.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unaware of any AWOL or confinement. Could it be related to injury? He was shot in the chest when he returned to the states by a fellow soldier and was hospitalized for a long period of time. He was honorably discharged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I find out exactly what those lost days were for?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No, it would not be related to an injury. There would be reason to reference the Manual for Court Martial from 1951 if it were an injury.

It may be that things were later corrected in his record, but that reference is to either AWOL or a court martial conviction or both.

You can make a request for his records from the national archives, but you really need to send in a Freedom of Information Act request because these sorts of records are only accessible in that way.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Related Military Law Questions