Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I was badly assaulted by several military personnel and the

Customer Question
assailants were convicted in military...
I was badly assaulted by several military personnel and the assailants were convicted in military and civilian courts and was sentenced to 60 years but the military has not compensated for my injuries what do I do at this point
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
1/19/2016
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hi, my name is***** am happy to assist you today.

I am sorry for this dilemma...have you filed a claim with the military? If so what was the result?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No because I don't know where to start the process
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also I'm civilian

Thank you

Can you tell me

1. How long ago was the assault?
2. can you give some context? How did this happen? Were the soldiers on duty (in uniform)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2007
Scan I can you the report

Thank you
I am truly sorry to bear bad news.
You have waited too long.

There is a federal law that allows a person, harmed by military members, to file a formal claim.

This law is called the "military claims act"

The statute of limitations is 2 years. Since over 2 years have passed? It is too late to file a claim

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can still file this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay thank you

Welcome. Best of luck to you and please remember to rate the answer so I may receive credit for my work

phil

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The judge ordered compensation but I haven't received anything

YOu would need to contact the prosecutor in the case to follow up on that

Follow up.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer