P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

I was badly assaulted by several military personnel and the

Customer Question

I was badly assaulted by several military personnel and the assailants were convicted in military and civilian courts and was sentenced to 60 years but the military has not compensated for my injuries what do I do at this point
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** am happy to assist you today.

I am sorry for this dilemma...have you filed a claim with the military? If so what was the result?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No because I don't know where to start the process
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I'm civilian
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

Can you tell me

1. How long ago was the assault?
2. can you give some context? How did this happen? Were the soldiers on duty (in uniform)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2007
Scan I can you the report
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
I am truly sorry to bear bad news.
You have waited too long.

There is a federal law that allows a person, harmed by military members, to file a formal claim.

This law is called the "military claims act"

The statute of limitations is 2 years. Since over 2 years have passed? It is too late to file a claim

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that you can still file this, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. Best of luck to you and please remember to rate the answer so I may receive credit for my work

phil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The judge ordered compensation but I haven't received anything
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

YOu would need to contact the prosecutor in the case to follow up on that

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Follow up.