How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Peter Griesch Your Own Question
Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 324
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Peter Griesch is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I used to be a student on F1 visa, but I joined the army

Customer Question

Hello, I used to be a student on F1 visa , but I joined the army through the MAVNI language program and I became a citizen upon completion of BCT. Right now I'm in AIT at Fort Lee, Va. Recently I have had emotional /mental issues, I started to have depression, anxiety and then thoughts of suicide which lead me to a behavioral clinic for rehabilitation for 8 days, I might be chapeted( probably general/unchategorized I'm not sure once I'm on entre level status <180 days. I'm scared of losing my citizenship, I heard about rules like not being able to complete initial training or not serving at least one or two years honorably. Please advise me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

The short answer is, no, you're not going to lose your citizenship.

If you’re a naturalized citizen, you can lose your citizenship only if you obtained it under false pretenses or if you are dishonorably discharged from the military, if military service is the means by which you acquired citizenship.

You can only receive a dishonorable discharge from being convicted of a crime at a court martial.

Receiving a general discharge for medical reasons will not cause you to lose your citizenship.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I most likely won't receive a general discharge because I have less than 180 days. I can't receive a general discharge with an 5-17 chapter. It probably will br an unchategorized disharge.
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

That will not affect your status.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'm sorry I did come back here to finish. I am still in the process of separation for the chapter 5-17. I hope everything will work out.
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please remember to rate my response using the star system above.

I only receive credit from Just Answer if my response is positively rated.

Thank you.