How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 14272
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A check is sent to my husband -Offset Overdeductions, as

Customer Question

A check is sent to my husband for CSRS-Offset Overdeductions, as expected. But the check arrived after my husband passed away. And, on the envelop, there is a box and a print : "IF RECIPIENT DECEASED, check here and drop in mailbox". I did call the Defense Finance and Accounting Service and talked to some one who confirmed that the check was issued from them, and the check is legitimate. So, is it legal for me to deposit the check to the joint account which still bears my husband ' name ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I want to make sure I understand. This was a check that was to pay back for money that improperly deducted?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Happy to chat on the phone....but taking another call in 5 mins. I do not time calls...but generally they take a half hour or so. If you do not mind waiting I can call you when I complete?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Seems your payment did not clear the bank. YOu can contact customer service at

To address this

Let me know if you have questions


Related Military Law Questions