How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald, Esq Your Own Question
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 4078
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Gerald, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm looking at a discharge from the Marine Corps from 1975

Customer Question

I'm looking at a discharge from the Marine Corps from 1975 DD 214 MC discharge other than honorable conditions. Still not sure what this exactly means? Disqualified from any benefits etc. Can't seem to tell if another code is on here.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience, including exprience with the DoD. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

A discharge under other than honorable conditions (OTH) is a disciplinary discharge. It is issued for any number of reasons pertaining to the Marines inability to meet the requirements of service. Some of those reasons can be fairly serious, and some less so. It is difficult to say without seeing the file. The Marine in question can obtain the file through a Privacy Act request to the Marines.

Generally, an OTH can effect eligibility for benefits, but not always.

The following links discuss this issue in greater detail and will give you a good basic understanding of the matter:

The first step is to file a Privacy Act request (NOT a FOIA request) to the Marines. The Marine in question must be the one to request that. He is looking to get his own file.

This link will help with that process:

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.