P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

If I get legally separated from my military spouse (army

Customer Question

Customer: If I get legally separated from my military spouse (army reserve) am I still eligible for Tricare
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I currently have insurance through my husband's tricare policy. He is an active member of the army reserve. He signed up for 5 years. What are Tricare's policies about legal separation? He is willing to keep me on his plan.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Military Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You mentioned a legal separation; are you planning on having a court issue a separation order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. So long as you remain married you are eligible for the insurance. However, if a divorce decree is issued you would lose eligibility.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.