Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I signed my contract into the United States Army Reserve in

Customer Question
June. This whole process was...
I signed my contract into the United States Army Reserve in June. This whole process was brand new to me and I ultimately just jumped in to help pay for college. I went to the recruiting office to talk about ROTC at college. During the first visit with my recruiter, he was already wanting to send me to MEPs in a couple of days. I ended up going too. A week later is when I officially signed my contract at MEPs. My family asked me if this is what I wanted and I just said yes, but they were all new to this process too. My recruiter never asked me nor really gave me a chance to think about what I was doing. I had plans for my life and big goals. I thought the ROTC would be good for me. But by going to a recruiter he never once helped me in that process for college, it was all on me. So I signed in the Army Reserves. I just thought I had to do that because I wasn't leaving till basic in January. Nothing was every fully explained to me and throughout this process, I've found things out that he never told me that could of helped me through this. But it's made me discover that the Army really isn't for me. I have big plans and being in the Reserves has caused problems already. I've also had some problems with my self-confidence and being in the Reserves has not helped with any of it. I was already hesitant about signing my contract, but I went ahead and did it anyways because I didn't want to disappoint anyone. But I've realized this is my life and I don't want to be in the Army. It's been a really tough couple of months for me and it just makes me wonder how my life will be if I continue this. I'm not scared to go to basic training, I actually believe I will do great. But it's what comes after. I'm scheduled to leave for Basic Training in a month. What would happen if I decided not to go? Especially since I'm a home shipping and I don't have to go back to MEPs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Military Law
12/10/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 1 year ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I want to make sure I understand...you signed up for the reserves...but you have not shipped out yet?

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer