P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

My sister's husband was a retired US Army Reserve member

Customer Question

My sister's husband was a retired US Army Reserve member (Living in Mississippi) when he died six years ago. They were married and lived together for <4 years but never divorced. She has a military ID card and took care of burial arrangements @ VA cemetery. When she applied for SBP she was refused based on the deceased member stating he was not married and he had two dependents and the SBP pay would be available to the children only----a lie by the deceased. My sister has the marriage certificate, retirement paperwork, her military ID card, and no divorce decree from anywhere. Can you help her get the survivor benefits she is entitled to?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You ask

Can you help her get the survivor benefits she is entitled to?

No. If you read the terms of service of his website, you will see that is not permitted.

We can provide information. I can not represent you.

That said, I have experience in this area...do you wish to discuss this matter?