How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Lawyer
Category: Military Law
Satisfied Customers: 19168
Experience:  Lawyer and current JAG officer.
Type Your Military Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can an active duty member bring a suit in the state where he

Customer Question

Can an active duty member bring a suit for custody in the state where he is assigned and the mother and child live when he has claimed another state for residency?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, he can. The "residency" requirement for a court to have jurisdiction over the military member is not the same thing as the concept of your legal residency for tax purposes. So, the state that you claim does bar you from also meeting the "residency" requirements to file in other states. You just have to be present in the state for the requisite period of time.

Furthermore, the fact that the mother and child also live there clearly establish that state's jurisdiction over the question.

Related Military Law Questions