Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

I signed an agreement to serve in the individual ready

Customer Question
reserves in order to receive...
I signed an agreement to serve in the individual ready reserves in order to receive separation pay. I have recently filed a disability claim with the VA and have been told that I will not see any compensation until my separation pay is paid back. They claim it is double dipping, however no one can explain why. If the money i received for separation needs to be paid back, then why am i still in the IRR? Or if I'm still in the IRR, then why do i have to pay back the separation pay in full before i receive disability compensation? I might be able to understand it had i been separated medically for my disability, but i was involuntary separated due to force reduction.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/4/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I want to make sure I understand...you are looking for the reference (the law that requires the VA to recoup the severance)?

Never mind, i found my answer. Thank you for your time.

certainly

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer