Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

En- my former spouse will be receiving 50 percent of my

Customer Question

good morning allen- my former spouse will be receiving 50 percent of my retired military disposable retired pay. is this 50
% net after I HAVE PAID taxes? if this is so, dam, that means she is receiving income that I will be paying taxes for? I received regular military retirement but I have been granted 100% veteran benefits. no, she is getting none of this, only based on my military retirement. thanks.
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she is receiving her 50% share of your pension, that is BEFORE taxes. Taxes on what she receives are her responsibility. She is awarded 50% of your total pension unless the court order says otherwise. The military QDRO should be directing the pension office to send her the 50% share and then she would be getting a 1099 for what she receives and you would get a 1099 for what you receive from your pension.