P. Simmons, Military Lawyer
Experience:  Retired Marine Corps lawyer and Veterans Services Officer (VSO) with 12+ yrs. of experience.
11181181

Currently I receive maintenance and 50% of my ex spouse's

Customer Question

Currently I receive maintenance and 50% of my ex spouse's military retirement. I receive the maintenance unless I remarry. I would like to know if he should pass away, will I continue to receive maintenance and the retirement? Thaks
Category: Military Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

Maintenance (also referred to as alimony or support) will end on his death.

So will his military pension.

Now, there is an insurance program known as "SBP" for "survivor benefit plan" that helps insure the pension of a veteran. But understand that this insurance must be paid for. If your divorce trial ordered he purchase SBP, then you can receive the benefit if he passes before you

But if the court did not order this? It is too late to go back and change it

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.