Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

I have a question about receiving BAH. My husband and I are

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question about receiving BAH. My husband and I are getting a divorce. I'm in Germany and he PCS'd back to the states. He is an E5 active duty and has been in for 5 years and has only been giving me partial BAH, which I just found out. I thought I was entitled to full BAH, now I am left with a apartment and no way to pay. He says he only has to give me $800 is this true?
Category: Military Law
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. If you go on the DFAS website you can look up your entitlement to BAH for your area at the partial rate.

Please note, however, that once you are divorced you will have no entielment to BAH unless it is adjudged or agreed upon in your divorce decree.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a link?

Sure. You can use this website:http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

And this website, while not official, has useful information:http://militarybenefits.info/2016-bah-basic-allowance-for-housing-rates/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found out his LES shows he gets $1200 for BAH but he says thats not all for me. I just want to know if this is true and what amount I am entitled to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link you provided says $125, so that part is accurate. I just need to know what I'm entitled to

I can't tell you that. You need to look up the BAH differential rate on the website by entering in the area you live (zip code). That will give you the amount you are entitled to.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i enter the zip code it just shows the actual bah, the zip code is 66442, fort riley. it comes up as $1215, is this the differential rate?

Try this site: http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/pdcFiles.cfm?dir=/Allowances/Non-Locality_BAH/

It appears the non-locality rate for an E-5 is $889.20.

Also, since you are not yet divorced, you can call the finance personnel on the nearest base, or his base, and ask them to confirm your entitlement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the $889.20 is what I'm entitled to because I know his BAH is $1200?

Yes, that is the locality rate.

Please remember to rate my response. Just Answer only pays its experts if the customer rates the response. Thank you.