Military Law

Have Military Law Questions? Ask a Military Lawyer.

Military Law

Ihave 16 years of military service in the US army reserve

Customer Question
and La national guard where...
Ihave 16 years of military service in the US army reserve and La national guard where I earned 50 or more retirement points. The retirement were earned with 2 years as and enlisted man in the La national guard during the time period of 1954 through 1957. When I started to college in 1958 I entered the US army ROTC Program and 4 years later was commissioned as a 2/Lt , USAR. I then served 2 years active duty attaining the rank 0f 1/Lt. Upon returning to civil***** *****fe I joined the 4009th US Army Garrison and subsequently the 4013th US Army Garrison where I earned the rest of my qualified retirement years and earned the rank of Major. IN 1977 I left my civilian job with a major insurance company and opened my own business. My business went well and in order to grow the business I had to drop out of my position with 4013 US Army Garrison as well as my training in the Reserve Command General Staff College.
Question; wITH MY 16 QUALIFIED RETIREMENT YEARS, IS THERE a program now that allows me to draw retirement at a reduced rate from the amount entitled to officers who have 20 years of qualified years? Thanks for your answer!
co
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Military Law
10/21/2015
Military Lawyer: P. Simmons, Military Lawyer replied 2 years ago
P. Simmons, Military Lawyer

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am very sorry to be the one to bear bad news. What you are describing it will not be possible for you to retire.

Federal law requires 20 or more "good years" (50 or more points in the year, or active duty service in the year) to retire OR a retirement based on a disability incurred in service.

Period.

Over the years there have been programs allowing "early retirement" or an annuity based on years of service to allow folks with less than 20 years to leave early and still receive compensation. These programs applied only to active duty, not to the reserves/guard.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

P. Simmons, Military Lawyer